Yoga is a combination of physical postures, breathing techniques, meditation, character education, and healthy living practices. Bring the healthy benefits of yoga to your classroom curriculum with these forty-five classroom yoga ideas.
How to do yoga in your classroom
- Take yoga mini-breaks throughout the day
- Introduce a new topic through kids yoga poses (ex. Rainforest = do monkey, cobra, and jaguar poses).
- Do a lesson on Kindness and Compassion.
- Read and act out kids yoga books.
- Act out children’s books through kids yoga poses.
- Go on pretend journeys around the world to learn about geography.
- Write your own yoga adventure story.
- Do a Sun Salute in your PE class.
- Practice breathing techniques to reduce stress and help you focus (ex. extended exhale or count your breaths).
- Listen to a relaxation story to help bring calm to your day.
- Write in your Gratitude Journal.
- Listen and dance to yoga songs.
- Make yoga pose cards and act out the poses.
- Study anatomy and physiology.
- Do Yoga Art (ex. take photos of poses or paint pictures of poses)
- Run a Yoga Lunch Club.
- Invent a new yoga pose.
- Do Partner Yoga.
- Make up yoga games (ex. Yogi says… or Freeze Yoga Tag).
- Take pictures of yoga poses and make a book.
- Study the history of yoga.
- Do Guided Visualizations on a specific theme (ex. pretend you are at the beach).
- Celebrate holidays through kids yoga poses.
- Research Sanskrit translations of the poses.
- Make a class book of the poses and descriptions.
- Teach the ABCs through yoga poses.
- Make musical instruments and create your own yoga song.
- Write in your Yoga Journal.
- Talk about healthy living and make changes to your life.
- Choose an environmental issue and take action.
- Do a lesson on Happiness.
- Fulfill the 30-minute physical activity requirement by practicing yoga postures.
- Organize a community service project.
- Learn another language through yoga.
- Celebrate Earth Day every day.
- Write your own positive affirmation statements.
- Introduce a new pose every week.
- Count while holding a pose.
- Look for patterns in the poses.
- Incorporate yoga into your field trips (ex. farm, zoo, or aquarium animals).
- Discuss Honesty.
- Find Yoga Pen Pals (ex. create a yoga sequence and share it with a classroom in another country).
- Take 5 minutes before a test to do a breathing exercise together.
- Study the yoga principles of the yamas and niyamas.
- Celebrate the changing of the seasons through yoga poses.
Free Breath Poster + More!
Bring the calming power of breath exercises to your classroom today!
Download this free Pause Breath Poster to share with your kids and as a little reminder for yourself to breathe!