Back in January, I made a little video series called the “4 Steps to Teaching Yoga to Kids.” I spoke about my philosophy that teaching yoga to children starts with our own practice. And from our own enthusiasm for this ancient wisdom, we’ll be better equipped to share the benefits of yoga with our children.
Lately, I’ve also been thinking about various ways that my daughter comes to the yoga life in her own way. The other day, I was writing up the pose instructions for our third deck of advanced yoga poses. I talked her through the Shoulder-Pressing Pose to double-check that I had the instructions clearly explained.
This made me think that we need to tune in to not only our preferred ways to practice, but also our children’s interests and passions to make the yoga practice engaging for them.
For those children who like to challenge themselves with poses or who are ready for more difficult poses, definitely check out our Yoga Poses for Kids Cards (Deck Three) with fifty poses. Below you’ll find five of the poses from that yoga card deck.
5 Advanced Yoga Poses for Kids
This list of five more challenging yoga poses for kids serves as an inspiration guide, but please encourage the children’s creativity. Some tips:
- Focus on having fun with movement, not on practicing perfectly aligned poses.
- Empower them to teach themselves the poses and try them out. Have them teach each other.
- Don’t worry if you don’t get the yoga pose the first time. Go easy on yourself and keep practicing. Some of these postures are extremely difficult. Think of this as a lifelong practice that evolves over time.
- It is very important to listen to your body when practicing the more advanced poses. Only do what feels comfortable to you.
- Take time to rest after a session of practicing the yoga poses. Lie in Resting Pose and take a few long, deep breaths to allow your body to soften and to release any tension in your body.
How were those more advanced poses for you and your children? Any favorite poses? Did your children enjoy the challenge?
If you’re looking for more poses like these, definitely check out our third deck of advanced yoga poses for kids.
PIN IT FOR LATER:
Purchase our Yoga Poses for Kids Cards
Make up your own more advanced yoga pose sequences with our Yoga Poses for Kids Cards (Deck Three).
Learn and practice 50 yoga poses for kids!
Try more challenging poses including: Crow Pose, Shoulder-Pressing Pose, and Extended Hand-to-Big-Toe Pose.
The yogi kids are multicultural from seven different countries. Pose index, pose instructions, and yoga tips included. Target age group: 5+.
You Might Also Like:
Get Updates from Kids Yoga Stories
To find out about other kids yoga resources, join our weekly Kids Yoga Stories newsletter by adding your name and email to the box at the top of the page.