Have you taken a Galapagos trip?
As a kindergarten teacher, Desiree takes her students on pretend learning journeys to visit the seven continents. She asked if we had any yoga poses related to South America. My first thought was “Galapagos! Why haven’t we written about a pretend Galapagos yoga journey yet?” This is a place on my bucket list to visit.
As I’ve never actually been to Galapagos, I had to rely on books and internet research to learn about this mysterious place.
- The Galapagos Islands are a group of 19 islands in the Pacific Ocean, about 600 miles west of Ecuador.
- The islands were first discovered by Fray Tomás de Berlanga, the first bishop of Panamae, in 1535.
- Charles Darwin studied finches there in 1831 and developed the theory of evolution to explain why the finches had different beak shapes reflective of their various diets.
- The first tour boat arrived in 1969.
- “Galapagos” means “giant tortoises” in Spanish.
- Animals that live on the islands include marine iguanas, tortoises, sea turtles, penguins, pelicans, seabirds, sea lions, albatross, dolphins, cormorants, boobies, seals, doves, hawks, crabs, giant rays, sharks, frigates, flamingos, and finches.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
Our four favorite books about the Galapagos were:
- We’re Sailing to Galapagos: A Week in the Pacific, by Laurie Krebs and Grazia Restelli
- Island: A Story of the Galápagos, by Jason Chin
- Take Your Time: A Tale of Harriet, the Galapagos Tortoise, by Eva Furrow, Donna Jo Napoli, and Laurel Molk
- “Galapagos” Means “Tortoises”, by Ruth Heller
5 Galapagos Yoga Poses for Kids
We know that learning through movement helps children retain the information, so here are five yoga poses inspired by the interesting animals that inhabit the Galapagos islands. The yoga poses are listed in a particular sequence to invite flow from one pose to the next:
I really hope to take my family to Galapagos one day. Until then, we’ll just have to bring Galapagos to us through books and yoga poses.
What place in the world would you really like to visit? Ask your children and tell us in the comments below!
PIN IT FOR LATER:
A Pretend Galapagos Trip through Yoga Poses for Kids
Purchase our Digital Yoga Poses for Kids Cards:
Make up your own yoga pose sequences with our Yoga Poses for Kids Cards:
Learn and practice 25 yoga poses for kids!
Mix-and-match twenty five yoga poses for kids with twenty five illustrated keywords (categories are Travel, Earth, People, and Animals). The yogi kids are multicultural from seven different countries. Pose index, pose instructions, and yoga tips included. Target age group: Fun for all ages.
Read How to Play with Yoga Cards for Kids.
Read Digital Yoga Card Printing Instructions.
Purchase the pre-printed Yoga Poses for Kids Cards.
Purchase the digital Yoga Poses for Kids Cards PDF Download.
You Might Also Like:
Get Updates from Kids Yoga Stories
To find out about other thematic yoga sequences, join our weekly Kids Yoga Stories newsletter by adding your name and email to the box at the top of the page.