Does your child love learning the alphabet and love animals?
North American Animal Yoga Tips
Some yoga tips to make your alphabet yoga session successful:
- Focus on having fun with movement, not on practicing perfectly aligned poses.
- Cater to their energy levels and different learning styles.
- Adjust the number of yoga poses depending on the time available and the ages, needs, and energy levels of the children.
- Be creative and enjoy yourselves—the kids will notice your enthusiasm.
- Wear comfortable clothing and practice barefoot.
- Make safety a top priority—clear the space of obstacles and be safe with your bodies.
- Encourage the children to share their yoga experiences with their family and friends.
- Feel free to add your own North American-themed songs, music, relaxation stories, or props.
- Brainstorm a list of North American animals that they know about or have seen before.
- Take out your stuffed animals or figurines of North American animals.
North American Animals Yoga Poses for Kids
Try these five alphabet animal yoga poses for kids. Download the whole A to Z alphabet of animal yoga poses in our digital downloadable North American Animals Yoga Cards for Kids and matching North American Animals Alphabet Poster:
A for Alligator – Practice Locust Pose.
Lie on your tummy, lift your chest and shoulders, and look up. Pretend to be an alligator drifting through the water. Say “Alligator is for A.”
B for Bear – Practice Downward-Facing Dog Pose.
Step back to your hands and feet, with your body in an upside-down V shape, with your buttocks up in the air. Walk on your hands and feet like a bear. Say “Bear is for B.”
C for Cougar – Practice Table Top Pose.
Come to an all-fours position with your fingers spread out and palms flat on the ground. Ensure that your back and neck are in a straight but neutral position. Your shoulders should be over your wrists, and your hips should be over your knees while the tops of your feet are flat on the ground. Pretend to be a cougar standing on a rock. Say “Cougar is for C.”
D for Dolphin – Practice Dolphin Pose.
On your hands and knees, bend your elbows and rest your forearms on the ground, with your palms flat. Lift your knees to straighten your legs, then look forward. Pretend to be a dolphin jumping through the waters. Say “Dolphin is for D.”
E for Elk – Practice Seated Twist.
Start by sitting cross-legged. Bend your right knee and place your right foot behind your left knee. Check that your spine is straight and your right foot is flat on the ground. Twist your upper body to the right. Take your left elbow to your right knee and your right hand back behind you. Pretend to be an elk looking at its surroundings. Repeat on the other side. Say “Elk is for E.”
Once the children are familiar with the poses, take a moment to stay in each posture to help the children integrate their learning. Can they think of other North American animals for the other letters of the alphabet?
PIN IT FOR LATER
You Might Like our North American Animals Yoga resources
Learn the alphabet through movement!
Pretend to be an A for Alligator, B for Bear, and C for Cougar through yoga poses for kids! Instantly download these 66 North American animal alphabet yoga cards to learn the alphabet through movement in your home, classroom, or studio. Includes an Alphabet Index Card, Yoga Tips, Pose Instructions, 26 Yoga Pose Cards, and 26 matching North American Animal Cards. The multicultural yoga kids are from seven countries. Download the matching alphabet poster here. Ages 4+.
|Animal Yoga Cards||Animal Alphabet Poster|
Other Yoga for Kids Links
Get Updates from Kids Yoga Stories
For more yoga tips and kids yoga resources, sign up for our weekly Kids Yoga Stories newsletter by adding your email address to the box at the top of the page.