Last month at Kids Yoga Stories, I focused on Ahimsa (~Kindness). Ahimsa is one of the behavioral disciplines (Yamas) along the path of yoga. Ahimsa can be translated as “Non-Violence”, or Kindness to ourselves, others, and the environment.
15 ways that you can make the world a better place through your acts of kindness:
Be Kind to Yourself
- Make space in your life for “me” time.
- Be accepting and forgiving of yourself. Every day.
- Be grateful for being you. Who you are and who you are not.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Smile lots.
- Live a healthy lifestyle. Eat well and exercise. Fill your body with goodness. Treat yourself to a Spa date.
Be Kind to Others
- Do something for another person without expecting anything in return. Practice selfless acts for others.
- Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
- Practice being kind to someone who you don’t have a natural affinity with.
- Step into someone else’s shoes. Send them ‘Loving Kindness’.
- Send Thank You cards, often.
Be Kind to Animals and the Environment
- Pick a passion and commit to making a difference. A little bit every week. For example, Animal Rescue, No Plastic, Veganism, Tree Planting, Recycling, Garbage Collection, or Environmental Education.
- Commit to environmentally-friendly practices. Reduce, reuse, and recycle. Walk more. Use less (or no) plastic. Eat whole foods. Turn lights off. Reduce your water use.
- Be aware of your impact on earth. Tread lightly. Recognize that we are visitors to this planet.
- Read, research, discuss, debate, or engage in topics of the environment. Then put into Action. Get involved in a way that works. Stretch yourself. Go outside of your comfort zone, for a higher purpose.
- Visit and explore National Parks. “Leave No Trace”. Share your photos and experiences with others.
Stay tuned for our next Kids Yoga Stories book, where the character notices the harm that garbage is doing to beach life. Sign up for the free Kids Yoga Stories Newsletter to find out when the book is available for purchase! Simply fill in your name and email below.
Check out Sophia’s Jungle Adventure, where Sophia is concerned about the tree cutting in Costa Rica and vows to speak to her Environment Club back at school.
Share your Acts of Kindness ideas! Email me at giselle (at) kidsyogastories (dot) com or tell us about your ideas on our KYS Facebook Page.
Thank you for reading!
Kids Yoga Stories