Introducing the Yoga Adventures Book Review and Giveaway by Kids Yoga Stories and Yoga in My School
Enter contest at bottom of the post via the Rafflecopter online giveaway tool.
This is week #6 in our 10-Week Kids Yoga Resources Reviews and Giveaways.
“Here is a fun and fully interactive way to explore our world, expand our abilities, learn lifelong habits of health and vitality, and create something new and beautiful with each practice.”
p. iv, Once Upon a Pose, by Donna Freeman.
It is a pleasure to introduce you to Donna Freeman, who is a mom, yoga teacher, author, and school teacher. Donna also runs two premium kids yoga professional training websites, found at Yoga in My School and Kids Yoga Academy. Keep an eye out for her next Online Kids Yoga Teacher Training and subscribe to her YouTube Channel.
I purchased Donna Freeman’s book a few months ago and am excited to share it with you. It is basically broken into three parts. Part one talks about the foundation of yoga, part two details ten yoga adventure stories, and part three shows you how to practice yoga.
What I love about Once Upon a Pose: A Guide to Yoga Adventure Stories for Children:
- It is inspiring to read about why the book was written. Donna also comes from a teaching background and is passionate about integrating yoga into the classroom. Her philosophy is to integrate yoga poses and philosophy into story, which is the same as the intention of Kids Yoga Stories.
- The book beautifully outlines the Eight Limbs of Yoga, yoga principles, and styles of yoga in an easy-to-understand way that you can apply to your yoga classes.
- The benefits of yoga are described, including increased flexibility, stress reduction, improved breathing, and a more positive body image.
- I love the Classroom Applications section which outlines how yoga meets the different subject areas in kindergarten through Grade six. There are extra notes on how to do yoga camps and yoga with children who have special needs.
- The book illustrates ten yoga adventures.
- My favorite topics are African Safari, Farmyard Fun, Mountain Magic, Sailing Sailing, and Tour of India.
- I love the book and music suggestions under each yoga story.
- Each step along the adventure journey includes a picture of a child in the pose, which is super helpful.
- All ten stories are written in English and French.
- The book includes a comprehensive list of physical postures (asanas) with the suggested keyword, Sanskrit name, how-to instructions, and a picture of a child in the pose.
- Keywords are written in English and French.
- List of breathing techniques, including counting the breath, extending the exhale, and take five.
- The relaxation chapter has seventeen mini-guided imagery exercises which are perfect for the classroom.
- The last chapter describes fun ways to incorporate yoga, including yoga games and creative exercises.
This is a resource book that every teacher should have on their classroom bookshelf to refer to time and time again. The yoga activities are a perfect way to enjoy the benefits of yoga while meeting your daily physical activity requirements. It’s a win-win combination.
Where to purchase this yoga adventures guide book:
Yoga in My School
Barnes & Noble
Many of you ask about how to do yoga with your children. I hope this kids yoga book sparks your imagination.
For this Yoga Adventures Book Giveaway, we will be giving away:
1 – Once Upon a Pose: A Guide to Yoga Adventure Stories for Children book by Donna Freeman ($18.98 value)
1 – Kids Yoga Stories book of your choice (up to $15.95 value)
Please read the full Contest Rules below for details.
We look forward to your entries. Thank you for taking the time to participate. Please let me know if you have any questions or problems with the Rafflecopter tool below, email at giselle at kidsyogastories dot com.
Yoga Adventures Books Giveaway
To enter the contest, please sign in using your Facebook account or email, and click on the different ways to enter. You can enter every day using this Rafflecopter online giveaway tool.
1. Entries are open worldwide.
2. You can be any age to enter.
3. Participation in the contest constitutes that you agree to the Contest Rules.
4. Please enter using the Rafflecopter tool above, obtaining points as follow the different options. You can enter every day.
5. No purchase is necessary.
6. Kids Yoga Stories and Yoga in My School accept no responsibility or liability for any injuries or losses that may result from practicing the yoga poses in the books. Please ensure your own safety and the safety of the children.
7. You must enter the contest giveaway with a valid email address. The winner will be notified by email and at that time we will request your mailing address. The shipping of the book can take some time, depending on your location. Kids Yoga Stories and Yoga In My School will ship the books to you separately and will cover the shipping costs.
8. Let Giselle know if you have any questions by emailing her directly at giselle at kidsyogastories dot com.
9. The contest will close on Monday, November 11th, 2013, midnight PST.
Like to know of other Reviews and Contest Giveaways? Sign up for our weekly Kids Yoga Stories Newsletter (put name and email address into box at the top of the page) to get updates of the upcoming weekly giveaways!