As we settle into months of home learning, I thought it would be fun to share a few DIY yoga games that you could make at home or with your students via video.
Parents often ask how to add physical activities that are creative and get the wiggles out, especially during transitional times. My daughter and I use these yoga games as quick, engaging brain breaks at home.
Note that you could either make your own gameboards, or if you’d like print-and-go templates, DIY Yoga Games for Small Groups includes those. It’s available by itself or as part of our new Get Connected Pack.
1. Yoga Monopoly
How to play:
- Get out your Yoga Monopoly gameboard template (from the DIY Yoga Games for Small Groups eBook) or draw your own.
- Add the yoga poses of your choice in the boxes and add anything else you’re studying. For example, math problems, facial expressions, or science questions.
- Players take turns rolling the die, moving their game piece forward, and doing the activity in the square.
- When you get around the gameboard back to start, take a deep breath, and continue playing as long as you’d like.
2. Spell Your Pose Flow
How to play:
- Get out your Spell Your Pose Flow gameboard (or draw your own) and write a pose beside each letter of the alphabet.
- Take turns choosing a word and spelling it by performing the pose matching each letter of the word.
- Continue play for as long as you like.
3. Yoga Board Game
How to play:
- Get out the Yoga Board Game template or draw your own on large paper.
- Add your own yoga poses or breathing techniques to the squares.
- Add other options such as moving forward, going back, or missing a turn.
- Add other learning opportunities like math problems or science questions.
- Players put their game pieces on the Start square.
- Players take turns rolling one die and moving their game piece around the board and doing the activity in the squares.
- The winner is the first player to cross the finish line.
Check Out Our DIY Yoga Games for Small Groups
Ready to bring yoga even more alive with fun games!
These yoga games were designed using common games you probably already have at home or classroom.
Each of the 8 yoga games includes:
- a list of materials you’ll need to create the game
- instructions for how to play the game
- additional worksheet to use to accompany the game
These yoga games are designed for children ages 4 to 8 (preschool to 3rd grade), but they could be adapted for younger or older children.
Each game could last between 5 and 20 minutes, depending on the needs and interests of the children participating.
Check Out Our Get Connected Pack
Right now, we’re all in survival mode.
Although we’re all home together, we’re not necessarily CONNECTING at all.
The novelty of working, schooling, and living together is wearing thin, and many of us are more frustrated than ever.
And the worst part… we don’t have enough tools to connect in truly meaningful ways. We haven’t had the time to do so for such prolonged periods of time.
So how do we creatively and meaningfully connect?
That’s where the brand-new Kids Yoga Stories digital “Get Connected Pack” comes to the rescue.
PIN IT FOR LATER
You Might Also Like:
Get Updates from Kids Yoga Stories
To find out about other thematic yoga sequences, join our weekly Kids Yoga Stories newsletter by adding your name and email to the box at the top of the page.