Hello! Cassandra, Community Manager of Kids Yoga Stories, here!
Today, we have an exciting video to share with you to explore what is yoga. In this video, Giselle (founder of Kids Yoga Stories) sat down with her yoga teacher, Katie Rose, whom she first connected with in 2005 in Sydney, Australia.
Often, we hear about the challenges that come with teaching yoga to children (and we get it—they are their own, unfiltered little beings!). Normally, those challenges are associated with the physical practice of yoga.
Instead, Katie shares how to find teachable moments within your day to practice yoga with your children. From yoga at the dinner table to using yoga to address conflicts and even using yoga to clean up and care for your space, Katie has a beautiful perspective shift for you!
This article contains affiliate links.
What is yoga?
“If you can breathe, you can practice yoga”
Some of my personal favorite tips from Katie Rose include:
- Leading by example and teaching yoga in a way that is “under the radar” – Living yoga through teachable moments.
- Reminding children that their thoughts are not always accurate – Yoga philosophies teach us that our mind is not necessarily reliable.
- Providing children with a safe space to share if they are ready to share – Never forcing them to do anything they’re not ready for builds trust and makes them more receptive to your teachings.
And finally, Katie shares a book recommendation with us all: The Magic 10 and Beyond: Daily Spiritual Practice for Greater Peace and Well-Being by her yoga teacher, Sharon Gannon. (You can bet I wrote this one down on my reading list too!)
What is yoga? – Interview: “How to Add Depth and Meaning to Your Kids Yoga Classes“
Check out the video to hear more of Katie’s wisdom in adding depth and meaning to your kids’ yoga practices!
Heal Yourself with The Ice Shaman |Wim Hof & Russell Brand
The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali , translated by Alistair Shearer (affiliate link)
Just Be song, by Elliott Park (Lucy emailed this link after reading our “Just Be” Mindful Monday)
About Katie Rose
Katie has been teaching yoga for over twenty years, is an advanced-level Jivamukti Yoga teacher, and an Ayurveda teacher. She is also qualified in Kundalini Yoga and holds the highest possible accreditations with both Yoga Alliance and Yoga Australia, and as a Doula (childbirth support person), she teaches for the Australian Doula College.
Katie is a published author of several books, including Mindful Living, published in 2019. She is a mother of four boys and a girl and lives with them in Sydney’s super-hip Inner West. As a mother, Katie is grounded in her practices and loves sharing with others how these ancient practices and rituals can be woven into everyday modern life.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Cassandra Troughton is an educator, writer, and speaker from Wabamun, Alberta, Canada. She has worked with Edmonton Public Schools for seven years, including six in special needs adaptability classrooms as an educational assistant. She was the Health and Wellness Lead at her school.
Health and wellness, especially positive mental health practices like mindfulness, is her passion. Her mindfulness recess club grew and flourished for five years, even transitioning from in person to online in 2020. She has presented at the Shaping the Future Conference 2021 & 2022 and the KYS School Yoga Bootcamp 2021.
Cassandra has been a guest writer on the KYS blog and has her own blog, mindfulmisst.com. When not busy writing, she enjoys practicing yoga and mindfulness, and being outside in her garden, most likely with her nose buried in a book. She considers herself to be a lifelong learner and loves sharing wellness and mindfulness with learners of all ages!
CHECK OUT OUR LEARN ABOUT ME PACK
Explore with your child their inner world with these fun, engaging, and thought-provoking card decks.
1. ANIMAL ALLIES CARDS: Fun and imaginative ways for children to connect to the spirit and symbolism of the animal kingdom
2. BE MY BEST YOGA CARDS: Are your children ready to be the very best versions of themselves?
3. CHAKRA YOGA CARDS FOR KIDS: Help children learn the basic energetics of their growing bodies and minds with Chakra Cards for Kids.
4. YAMAS & NIYAMAS YOGA CARDS: The cards can help integrate these yoga principles into character-education or social-emotional-learning (SEL) lessons.
Find out more about this set of yoga cards here.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE OUR ADULT SELF-CARE PACK
Take time to practice self-care!
Manage inner chatter, promote physical relaxation, and bring some much-needed peace to your life. These decks will show you how!
- 1. RESTORATIVE YOGA CARDS FOR GROWNUPS
- 2. POSITIVE AFFIRMATION CARDS FOR GROWNUPS
- 3. SELF-COMPASSION YOGA CARDS FOR GROWNUPS
- 4. DOSHA CARDS FOR GROWNUPS
Find out more about our Adult Self-Care Pack here.