Earth Day Book Review and Giveaway
At the end of the post, enter the contest via the Rafflecopter online giveaway tool.
I am so excited! Last week, I posted an article with my recommendations for Earth Day books and a few Earth Day-inspired yoga poses for kids.
One of the Earth Day books on the list was Compost Stew: An A to Z Recipe for the Earth. Because of that post, the author, Mary McKenna Siddals, and I connected. As it turns out, she is also a former teacher from British Columbia, Canada—it’s a small world.
I am thrilled to share this composting alphabet book with you in honor of Earth Day. When we lived in San Francisco, my daughter loved helping my husband to fill up our “worm café” with veggie scraps from the kitchen. She welcomed the opportunity to go near the smelly compost, lift the lid, add the food to the muck, and watch the wiggling worms. Then she would help drain the fertilizer liquid and put it on the garden. So, imagine my excitement at finding a fun book for my environmental chef!
Ashley Wolff’s engaging collage illustrations are a delight. She is a very talented illustrator of more than sixty children’s books, and she lives in a cozy neighborhood in San Francisco. She is best known for her Miss Bindergarten series. Mary McKenna Siddals is the author of several children’s books, including Millions of Snowflakes. In this newest release, Compost Stew, she writes the A to Z recipe of what can go into a compost, including “grass clippings, hair snippings, and an insect or two.” She cleverly weaves the compost recipe into the rhyming text.
Compost Stew is a perfect book to celebrate Earth Day, every day. The book serves as a fantastic introduction to composting, especially if you would like to try it with your children this spring. There’s also a little note at the back of the book about what’s not fit for the compost. I always found my primary school students to be eager environmentalists whenever we talked about earth-friendly activities. Composting their food scraps made more sense than putting more garbage into the landfills. In yoga philosophy, we talk about encouraging non-harmful behavior (ahimsa), and discussing the benefits of composting to our planet is one way that we can do just that.
I highly recommend Compost Stew to parents or teachers looking for a children’s book that promotes an earth-friendly lifestyle.
To purchase Compost Stew:
The winner of this Earth Day books giveaway will receive:
1 – Compost Stew book by Mary McKenna Siddals and Ashley Wolff ($15.99 + shipping)
1 – A Kids Yoga Stories book of your choice (up to $15.95 value + shipping)
Two of our yoga books lend themselves well to environmental discussions: Luke’s Beach Day and Sophia’s Jungle Adventure.
Please read the full Contest Rules below for details.
We look forward to your entries. Thank you for taking the time to participate. Please let me know if you have any questions or problems with the Rafflecopter tool below by sending me an e-mail at giselle at kidsyogastories dot com.
Earth Day Books Giveaway
To enter the contest, sign in using your Facebook or e-mail account and click on the different ways to enter. You can enter every day using this Rafflecopter online giveaway tool.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
1. Entries are open worldwide.
2. You can be any age to enter.
3. Participation in the contest constitutes that you agree to the Contest Rules.
4. Please enter using the Rafflecopter tool above, obtaining points as follow the different options.
5. You can enter every day.
6. No purchase is necessary.
7. Kids Yoga Stories accepts no responsibility or liability for any injuries or losses that may result from practicing the yoga poses in the book. Please ensure your own safety and the safety of the children.
8. You must enter the contest giveaway with a valid e-mail address. The winner will be notified by e-mail, and at that time, we will request a mailing address. The shipping of the books can take some time, depending on the winner’s location. Kids Yoga Stories and Random House will ship the books separately and will cover the shipping costs.
9. If you have any questions, e-mail Giselle directly at giselle at kidsyogastories dot com.
10. The contest closes on Monday, April 21st, 2014, midnight EST.
Want to be notified of other reviews and contest giveaways? Sign up for our weekly Kids Yoga Stories Newsletter (put email address into box at the top of the page) to get updates of the upcoming giveaways!