Visiting Feelings Book Review and Giveaway
Don’t forget to enter the contest via the Rafflecopter online giveaway tool at the end of the post.
“Yet although some parents live vicariously through their children’s accomplishments, success is not the No. 1 priority for most parents. We’re much more concerned about our children becoming kind, compassionate, and helpful.” (“Raising a Moral Child” by Adam Grant, NY Times.com)
According to Adam Grant’s article on NYTimes.com, research shows that parents are most concerned that they raise moral children who are aware of their own feelings and get along with others. As parents and teachers, we are always looking for unique ways to teach character education. Lauren Rubenstein’s new children’s book, Visiting Feelings, provides us with a tool to discuss feelings with our children. Through beautifully crafted rhyming text, Visiting Feelings encourages children to treat their feelings like guests, to welcome them in, get to know them, and perhaps learn why they are visiting.
Lauren Rubenstein is a licensed clinical psychologist who also teaches yoga and mindfulness to children and adolescents. We first connected last year through her admirable work with Go Give Yoga (we donated a few yoga stories to the organization). Lauren travels regularly to Haiti to teach yoga and mindfulness to children living in extreme poverty. All the proceeds she earns from the sales of this book for the first year will go to Go Give Yoga. Check out her mindfulness yoga class plan based on Visiting Feelings.
Shelly Hehenberger’s illustrations bring this feelings book alive with color and warmth. The images were created digitally using hand-painted textures and overlays. Shelly brings her background as a professional artist into creating this magical, heartwarming, and captivating children’s book. The winning combination of Lauren’s brilliant prose and Shelly’s charming images make this book a must-have for every bookshelf.
I read Visiting Feelings to my daughter before school this morning. Though she’s not quite three-years-old, she was still entranced by the images and rhyming text. Shortly after, she had a tantrum because she couldn’t have what she wanted. Once she calmed down a bit, we talked about the book and that feelings come and go. I asked how she felt and if she wanted to feel a different way. She said, “Momma, I feel happy now.” Even though this is just the beginning of character education for my daughter, this feelings book is a great start.
I highly recommend Visiting Feelings to parents or teachers looking for a children’s book that promotes mindfulness and character education.
The winner of this Feelings Book giveaway will receive:
1 – Visiting Feelings by Lauren Rubenstein and Shelly Hehenberger ($14.95 + shipping)
Gold Medal, 2013 Mom’s Choice Awards
Nomination, 2014 Nautilus Awards
1 – A Kids Yoga Stories book of your choice (up to $15.95 value + shipping)
Anna and her Rainbow-Colored Yoga Mats is a yoga story about friendship, happiness, and acceptance if you are looking for a complementary feelings book.
Please read the full Contest Rules below for details.
We look forward to your entries. Thank you for taking the time to participate. Please let me know if you have any questions or problems with the Rafflecopter tool below by sending me an e-mail at giselle at kidsyogastories dot com.
Feelings Book Giveaway
To enter the contest, sign in using your Facebook or e-mail account and click on the different ways to enter. You can enter every day using this Rafflecopter online giveaway tool.
1. Entries are open worldwide.
2. You can be any age to enter.
3. Participation in the contest constitutes that you agree to the Contest Rules.
4. Please enter using the Rafflecopter tool above, obtaining points as follow the different options.
5. You can enter every day.
6. No purchase is necessary.
7. Kids Yoga Stories accept no responsibility or liability for any injuries or losses that may result from practicing the yoga poses in the book. Please ensure your own safety and the safety of the children.
8. You must enter the contest giveaway with a valid e-mail address. The winner will be notified by e-mail, and at that time, we will request a mailing address. The shipping of the books can take some time, depending on the winner’s location. Kids Yoga Stories and Magination Press will ship the books separately and will cover the shipping costs.
9. If you have any questions, e-mail Giselle directly at giselle at kidsyogastories dot com.
10. The contest closes on Monday, April 28th, 2014, midnight EST.
Want to be notified of other reviews and contest giveaways? Sign up for our weekly Kids Yoga Stories Newsletter (put email address into box at the top of the page) to get updates of the upcoming giveaways!