Back to School in the northern hemisphere means welcoming the signs of fall.
The days are getting shorter, the leaves are changing colors, and we all get ready for colder weather.
Yoga poses were first created thousands of years ago by modeling the natural environment.
Autumn yoga is a great way to act out this story of changing seasons.
This post has an Amazon affiliate link.
Autumn Yoga for Kids
Ten kids yoga poses inspired by Awesome Autumn by Bruce Goldstone:
by Bruce Goldstone
1. Days are getting shorter – Crescent Moon Pose
How to Practice Crescent Moon Pose: Stand tall in Mountain Pose, reach your arms up above your head, place your palms together, and gently lean to one side. Repeat on other side.
2. Tree leaves change color – Tree Pose
How to Practice Tree Pose: Stand on one leg, bend your knee, place the sole of your foot on your inner thigh, and balance like a tree.
3. Birds fly south for warmer weather – Warrior 3 Pose
How to Practice Warrior 3 Pose: Stand on one leg. Extend the other leg behind you. Bend your torso forward and take your arms out to the side. Flap your arms like a bird.
4. Farmers harvest their crops before the frost – Chair Pose
How to Practice Chair Pose: Stand tall in Mountain Pose with your feet hip-width apart, bend your knees, and pretend you are driving a tractor.
5. Bears prepare to sleep in their dens – Bear Walk in Downward-Facing Dog Pose
How to Practice Downward-Facing Dog Pose: Step back to hands and feet in an upside-down V shape then walk like a bear.
6. Whales migrate south to warmer water currents – Whale Pose
How to Practice Bow Pose (Whale Pose): Lie down on your belly, bend your knees, lift up your chest, and reach back your arms to touch your toes.
7. Foxes grow thicker fur – Kneeling Pose
How to Practice Kneeling Pose: Come to kneeling on your knees, and look up at the moon like a fox.
8. Hedgehogs get ready to hibernate – Child’s Pose
How to Practice Child’s Pose: Come to sitting back on your heels, slowly bring your forehead down to rest in front of your knees, rest your arms down alongside your body, and take a few deep breaths.
9. Monarch butterflies fly south to their winter homes – Cobbler’s (Butterfly) Pose
How to Practice Cobbler’s Pose: Sit on your buttocks with a tall spine, bend your legs, place the soles of your feet together, and gently flap your wings like a butterfly.
10. Take in the smells and sights of Fall – Resting Pose
How to Practice Resting Pose: Lay on your back with your arms and legs stretched out. Imagine the sights and sounds of Autumn. Breathe and rest. Follow a guided-visualization story of the signs of Fall.
MAY WE SUGGEST
Watch the read-aloud of Trish’s Fall Photography
Download Your Autumn Yoga Poster
Watch the Fall Yoga Poses for Kids Video
PIN IT FOR LATER
What other Autumn-inspired yoga poses can you invent?