This “passion” post is part of our monthly theme at Kids Yoga Stories. I asked Carolyn Clarke, a kids yoga teacher and author of Imaginations: Fun Relaxation Stories and Meditations for Kids, about her passion for teaching kids yoga.
What I love about teaching kids yoga:
- Feeling the frenetic energy of a group of kids come into the room before class
- Kids saying “Hi Yoga” because they think my name is Yoga
- Making up silly stories that go along with a yoga pose flow
- Teaching about love and kindness for Valentine’s day
- Showing kids how it is easier to balance in life when you focus on one thing that is not moving
- Blowing bubbles to teach mindful breathing
- Knowing a bazillion kids music songs that don’t sound like fingernails on a chalkboard to recommend to new parents
- Having the trunk of my car filled with Beanie Babies, yoga mats, chimes, toys, Lavender oil, Heart pillows, picture books, and a parachute, instead of something “boringly adult” like car cleaning supplies or the dry cleaning
- Did I mention the parachute?
- Seeing two friends holding hands during relaxation
- Learning new poses made up by my students
- The sound and vibration of preschoolers saying “Om”
- Watching a child struggle with a yoga balancing pose and laughing it off before trying again
- Seeing their posture change from “slumpy” to tall during the class
- Smiling faces ready to practice yoga and asking what’s in my yoga bag today
- Seeing kids that might not normally be active in competitive sports have a yoga triumph with a challenging pose
- The scent of lavender eye pillows during relaxation
- Watching their bodies go from squirmy to still during savasana and relaxation story time
- Feeling the peaceful, calm, and mellow energy of the kids at the end of the class
- Lots of hugs …
Carolyn Clarke, author of Imaginations: Fun Relaxation Stories and Meditations for Kids
Why do you love teaching kids yoga? What’s your passion?
Feel free to email me your ideas as well. I would love to hear about your experiences –
Giselle at kidsyogastories dot com.
Like this article? Sign up for our weekly Kids Yoga Stories Newsletter to get updates by adding your email into the box at the top of the page – it’s free!
Kids Yoga Stories