Introducing the Creative Yoga for Children
Book Review and Giveaway by Kids Yoga Stories
Enter contest at bottom of the post via the Rafflecopter online giveaway tool.
This is week #5 in our 10-Week Kids Yoga Resources Reviews and Giveaways.
“Studies show that yoga improves students’ behavior, physical health, academic performance, and attitudes toward themselves.” (Creative Yoga for Children website)
I first learned about the book, Creative Yoga for Children: 40 Fun Ready-to-Teach Lessons for Ages 4-12 by Adrienne Rawlinson, in the Yoga Journal. Adrienne Rawlinson is a Montessori teacher and certified yoga instructor who currently lives in Ontario, Canada.
In the introduction of her book, the author writes:
“I remember my first taste of yoga. It was in our family room in Montreal in the 1970s. My mother would watch a morning yoga show, and I would rush to join her for our half hour together. … I just loved the time with my mom and the process of connecting and doing something together that put no pressure on either of us.”
As I read this, I literally didn’t know whether to cry or laugh. I had the exactly the same experience with my mom in the 1970s, except we were living in Manitoba, Canada. My mom used to watch yoga videos by Kareen Zebroff. Anyways, it was a wonderful way to feel connected to the author through a shared experience.
What I love about the Creative Yoga for Children book:
- The author is also a teacher and looking for ways to apply the yoga principles into the classroom.
- Class themes separated into classes for ages four to six, seven to nine, and ten to twelve.
- Forty kids yoga lesson plans, each with the different elements of a lesson plan including Educational Elements, Props, Intention, Warm-up, Connect, Activity, Breath, Arts and Crafts, Book, Partner Pose, Meditation, and Gratitude.
- Black-and-white photos of the teacher and students demonstrating the poses.
- Excellent resource book for teachers who are looking to add some fun and movement to their curriculum throughout the year. Themes that I would have used as a teacher include The Sea, Halloween, The Universe and Beyond, Our Earth, Forest Life, Countries of the World, The Body Systems, Environmental Action, De-Stress to Study, The Earth’s Elements, and Healthy Food Choices.
- List of thirty six Arts and Crafts ideas to integrate into your yoga session.
- Partner Pose Guide with twelve detailed description of how-to do the poses.
- Pictures of poses broken into categories of Sea Creatures, Birds, Mammals, Reptiles, Insects, Vegetables, and Minerals that are easy to reference.
- Mudra Guide and Breathing Techniques at the back of the book.
A sample sequence inspired by her Halloween story:
Stirring a witch’s brew – Easy Pose
Ghost – Mountain Pose
Black Cat – Cat Pose
Moon – Crescent Moon Pose
Pumpkin – Child’s Pose
The Creative Yoga for Children book aims to inspire the whole child through yoga, songs, literature and games. I highly recommend this creative kids yoga book to teachers who are interested in practicing yoga in the classroom. It is a perfect go-to resource to have on your bookshelf and bring out throughout the year when you are teaching different themes. The book’s ideas will also spark your imagination to create your own yoga themed sessions. You will be equipped with ways to incorporate the different elements of yoga, including physical postures, character education, meditation, relaxation, and breathing techniques.
Where to purchase this creative kids yoga book:
- Barnes & Noble
- Random House Inc.
- North Atlantic Books
- Indigo / Chapters
- NAB Communities
Many of you ask about how to do yoga with your children. I hope this creative kids yoga book provides you with some inspiration!
For this Creative Kids Books Giveaway, we will be giving away:
1 – Creative Yoga for Children: Inspiring the Whole Child through Yoga, Songs, Literature, and Games book by Adrienne Rawlinson ($16.95 value)
1 – Kids Yoga Stories book of your choice (up to $15.95 value)
Please read the full Contest Rules below for details.
We look forward to your entries. Thank you for taking the time to participate. Please let me know if you have any questions or problems with the Rafflecopter tool below, email at giselle at kidsyogastories dot com.
Creative Kids Yoga Books Giveaway
To enter the contest, please sign in using your Facebook account or email, and click on the different ways to enter. You can enter every day using this Rafflecopter online giveaway tool.
1. Entries are to US addresses only.
2. You can be any age to enter.
3. Participation in the contest constitutes that you agree to the Contest Rules.
4. Please enter using the Rafflecopter tool above, obtaining points as follow the different options. You can enter every day.
5. No purchase is necessary.
6. Kids Yoga Stories and North Atlantic Books accept no responsibility or liability for any injuries or losses that may result from practicing the yoga poses in the books. Please ensure your own safety and the safety of the children.
7. You must enter the contest giveaway with a valid email address. The winner will be notified by email and at that time we will request your mailing address. The shipping of the book can take some time, depending on your location. Kids Yoga Stories and North Atlantic Books will ship the books to you separately and will cover the shipping costs.
8. Let Giselle know if you have any questions by emailing her directly at giselle at kidsyogastories dot com.
9. The contest will close on Monday, November 4th, 2013, midnight PST.
Like to know of other Reviews and Contest Giveaways? Sign up for our weekly Kids Yoga Stories Newsletter (put name and email address into box at the top of the page) to get updates of the upcoming weekly giveaways!